User @ domain.tld as ID (Once again)

Martin Atkins mart at
Thu Nov 3 07:39:48 PST 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:
> * "OpenID is based on URLs, therefore using email addresses makes no sense"
>   This isn't an answer. It's circular logic and convinces no-one.

This is an over-simplification of the argument.

The actual argument is that OpenID is based around HTTP which is in turn
based on URLs. Therefore OpenID is fundamentally bound to URLs at this

> * "Even with a mapping function, it won't work for everybody"
>   Why not? If you can use both email address and URL I don't see why it
>   wouldn't

So you think having two kinds of identifier will be more intuitive than
standardising on one?

"YADIS identities look a bit like email addresses, but they aren't
really email addresses. Also, sometimes they don't look like email
addresses at all."