User @ domain.tld as ID (Once again)

Martin Atkins mart at
Thu Nov 3 08:19:58 PST 2005

Granqvist, Hans wrote:
>>Also, unless you can come up with a way to map an email
>>address onto a URL that doesn't involve "magic" URLs that
> How about mailto:user at
> I think any identifier that is a proper URL (that is, including
> a scheme) could be valid.  Or the protocol could limit it to the
> http[s] and mailto schemes, to begin with.

Throughout this discussion where I've been saying "URL" I've really
meant "HTTP URL".

YADIS won't work on a mailto: URL because you can't retrieve it to
discover its capabilities. The operation "retrieve" doesn't make any
sense on mailto:, since it's not really a protocol.

In theory you could use an ftp: URL, since you can retrieve a capability
document from that, but support for FTP and other protocols is much more
of a burden to put on consumers, and the document as it currently stands
depends on some HTTP-specific things such as the Content-type of the

(and when I say "HTTP URL", I'm also including "HTTPS URL", since HTTPS
is of course just HTTP over SSL.)