User @ domain.tld as ID (Once again)

Granqvist, Hans hgranqvist at verisign.com
Thu Nov 3 09:23:50 PST 2005

> Throughout this discussion where I've been saying "URL" I've really
> meant "HTTP URL".

That is a quite a limitation on URLs -- is this sort of the consensus
in this forum? (Just trying to pick up the context here . . .)

> YADIS won't work on a mailto: URL because you can't retrieve it to
> discover its capabilities. The operation "retrieve" doesn't make any
> sense on mailto:, since it's not really a protocol.

Okay, mailto semantics are different, but I don't necessarily agree with

you. POP3/SMTP can carry any info that HTTP can, including operations,
states, and header information.

Anyway, that was not my point. My point was that the mapping of any url
to an HTTP url is possible. A server could reject a request using a
scheme
it doesn't handle, or the server could delegate resolution: the use of a

scheme denominator for email addresses would just serve to make explicit

that they are in fact email addresses and not, say, SIP identities.

Hans