Verisign on YADIS etc.

Ernst Johannes jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Wed Nov 9 13:18:49 PST 2005

You may be interested in this extensive blog post by Mike Graves of
Verisign on YADIS.

     http://infrablog.verisignlabs.com/2005/11/
yadis_and_urlbased_identity.html

Some of my thoughts in response are here:

     http://netmesh.info/jernst/Comments/mike-graves-yadis.html

I think there is a belief among the "reform movement" at Verisign
(that Mike belongs to) that things like YADIS would be an excellent
foundation on top of which a range of high-value features can be
implemented by the entire community in an open manner -- for example,
signed blog pings to cut down on spam and splogs. (using public key
distribution through YADIS-enabled URLs as we've done it in LID for
some time).

Their post is not a one-time event but part of a quite promising
development: Versign has already put together a multi-vendor working
group on the subject that includes many  of of the high-volume
blogging tool hosts/vendors -- who really seemed to like the idea of
using the YADIS foundation to enable signed pings in a meeting Brad,
David and myself participated in this morning, because YADIS is
simple, it scales, it can be implemented incrementally and it's an
open initiative that can let many flowers bloom. And of course
because it opens up a lot of new possibilities in an incremental
manner. (At least those are the reasons I heard being mentioned.)

It seems to be the expectation of everybody that more will come out
of this publicly quite soon, with the initial sweet spot being the
intersection of YADIS and projects such as FeedMesh. We'll keep you
guys in the loop -- I expect some additional requirements for YADIS
to come out of this group, but that's why we have YADIS, so people
can participate and influence...

David, Brad: anything to add?

Johannes Ernst