The reliance on Content-type

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Mon Nov 14 18:51:35 PST 2005

FWIW, in XRI resolution (which is only one use of XRDs), asking for the
content type "application/xrd+xml" is required. The goal is to leverage HTTP
content negotiation so that from one XRI that identifies the logical
resource, you can get different types of physical representations of that
resource (an XRD being just one more such representation) by specifying the
content type.

Using HXRIs (the HTTP URI form of an XRI -- see section 6 of
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/15310/xri-resolution-V2.0-
wd-09.pdf), this would yield:

URL:			http://xri.xdi.org/=drummond.reed
Content Type:	application/xrd+xml
Return:		XRD

URL:			http://xri.xdi.org/=drummond.reed
Content Type:	application/html
Return:		Web page

URL:			http://xri.xdi.org/=drummond.reed
Content Type:	application/rdf
Return:		RDF file

Again, YADIS need not have this same requirement of specifying a content
type; I'm just explaining how we're using it in XRI infrastructure.

I understand the challenge when a user can't set the content type mapping on
the HTTP server. But in that case, isn't the simplest solution to have the
user's login URL include the actual filename for the YADIS XRD file?

That way, if my server didn't understand application/xrd+xml mapping, and my
short URL was http://example.com/~drummond, I'd know my YADIS login URL
would be whatever I called my actual YADIS XRD file, i.e.:

			http://example.com/~drummond/yadis.xml

In other words, rather than "magic filenames", just support: a) exact
URL-to-filename mapping for those users whose whose identity servers don't
recognize content negotation for YADIS XRD files, and b) HTTP content
negotation for users whose identity servers do recognize
"application/xrd+xml".

In the end the only difference is going to be whether you need to type a
filename at the end of your login URL or not.

But I may be missing something...

=Drummond