proposal for capabilities lookup
danda at videntity.org
Fri Nov 18 19:29:24 PST 2005
On Friday 18 November 2005 20:24, Martin Atkins wrote:
> Ernst Johannes wrote:
> By providing a hint in that initial request, that list can be reduced by
> one item, which is valuable to server implementations built in to things
> such as weblog apps which would otherwise have to spend a lot of time
> generating an HTML document which is going to be immediately discarded.
Agreed. Many (most?) Identity pages will be dynamically generated. A GET
request seems to me like mostly a waste of bandwidth and server CPU. I would
actually suggest that we make the following YADIS design goals:
1) Capabilities document is always requested/retrieved in a single request.
2) a GET of the Identity URL is never required.
Note: alternatives to GET of Identity URL that I'm aware of include:
a) a HEAD request, with capabilities somehow encoded in response header(s)
- not sure I've heard any real arguments against this yet.
b) a GET request of another [magic] URL
- not a popular idea, magic is bad.
c) an OPTIONS request
- Seems designed for this purpose. Works for webDAV, maybe for us too?
- One identity to login with them all
- Social networking between websites and blogs
More information about the yadis