the wikipedia use case

Ernst Johannes jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Tue Nov 22 12:43:40 PST 2005

Let's say I'm a substantial wikipedia contributor and have a
wikipedia-hosted home page called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
User:Jernst (if you go there, you'll see I'm neither ... this is just
an example).

I also have a YADIS-enabled URL, e.g. from my LiveJournal blog, or
hosted by mylid.net or whatever.

I'd like to "point" from my Wikipedia page to my YADIS URL using
indirection/delegation as we have been discussing it on this list.

Can I?

It appears that Joaquin's idea of putting magic markers into HTML
BODY would make this possible -- but, given that this is a wiki,
somebody stealing my identity would be a very trivial exercise.

On the other hand, most wiki software is progressing towards the
ability of locking individual pages. But in my scenario, even if I
managed to lock my wikipedia page (let's assume some wiki allows me
to do that), I can't really add the pointer to my YADIS URL because
-- as Mart pointed out -- I can't modify HTML HEAD.

How could we provide a solution to this use case?

Would the easiest be:
  - to recommend external authentication for the wiki as we allow it
already with the yadis.org wiki
  - to modify the wiki software to allow "all of this" (details left
as an exercise for the reader because the writer -- me -- hasn't
thought them through)
  - to modify the wiki account management subsystem to allow the user
to specify a URL to where his capability data is stored, which then
can be automatically inserted in a response by the wiki software
whenever a User:xxx page is hit, using the additional HTTP header
field that I suggested, or any other method?

Other ideas?

Johannes Ernst