Agree: let's not overextend

Ernst Johannes jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Mon Nov 28 08:58:31 PST 2005

Some wise comments were made on this list by various people that I'd
like to echo.

The safest way of killing of a promising new initiative is to attempt
too many things at once, or to create more dependencies than
absolutely necessary. It's great to hear that many people on this
list are aware of this danger and want to approach this as a series
of small, incremental steps, focusing on making that small step
successful first before going to the next step.

Even if the first step was very small in terms of technical agreement
reached, it might turn out to be very big because it may affect a
very large number of URLs -- as it was pointed out, likely far beyond
the subject of digital identity (for people). Funnily enough, the
smaller that first step, the more likely is its appeal going to be
very broad.

It it turns out that we can agree on many small steps -- not too
unlikely -- then we can take many small steps in rapid succession.
And if step N+1 suddenly turned out to be not as easy, we can stop
right there -- without stalling anything else other than step N+1.

I like this approach to standards development ...

Johannes Ernst