Trailing Slash?

Mark Rafn dagon at dagon.net
Mon Oct 17 17:09:31 PDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Dave Holland wrote:
> My web server (Apache, FWIW) issues a redirect with code 301 if the
> trailing slash is omitted from a directory-level URL. Is it worth saying
> something like...
>
>  [the URL] "will not be further processed by the consumer except to
>  follow HTTP redirects, so be sure..." [etc]
>
> or is that pushing too much work onto the consumer?

The consumer currently makes NO connection to the URL of the delegate
identity.  Changing this seems like it would be a bad idea (especially if
you then got into the idea of chained delegation...)

I don't see a strong argument against changing the spec to require a
consumer to canonicalize (but not to fetch or to follow redirects) the
delegate ID, but I also don't see any reason to do so.

Think of it this way: the claimed identity is intended to be typed into a
form, or otherwise come from a human.  Flexibility is good, because humans
are lazy and ignorant.

The delegated identity can ONLY come from a programmatic source (the
contents of the canonicalized and resolved claimed identity URL), so
there's no reason to require a consumer to guess the correct URL from a
shorthand version.
--
Mark Rafn    dagon at dagon.net    <http://www.dagon.net/>