Announcing YADIS...again

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Tue Oct 25 17:08:24 PDT 2005

On Oct 25, 2005, at 7:40 PM, Carl Howells wrote:

> I've read through the documentation provided, and I'm a bit
> confused by all of this.  How does having this protocol make things
> easier?

I'd like to second that.  My first thought upon looking at the YADIS
spec was "Is this for real?".  To me, the benefit of OpenID is that
it is a relatively lightweight protocol and it is simple to implement
for both producers and consumers.  LID, on the other hand, seems to
be bloated and pretty painful to implement.  Now we have a
"Capability Discovery Protocol" and all sorts of other things.

If the goal is just to put profile exchange on top of OpenID, I am
sure it could have been done without requiring the overhead of LID.

Brad once said (http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/yadis/2005-June/
000924.html):

"It's possible we might use LID as one of our recommended profile
exchange mechanisms in the future, but the spec as a whole was too
heavy."

and frankly I think that still holds true.  Now we've got this
enormous ball of wax called YADIS, which really doesn't seem like an
improvement.

And what of existing OpenID producers and consumers?  Look at the
guestbook demo, for example.  What benefits are there for consumers
like those to have OpenID get any more complicated?

YADIS seems like a massive step backwards to me.

-Kurt