Announcing YADIS...again

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Fri Oct 28 15:08:09 PDT 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 1:26 PM, Martin Atkins wrote:

> I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't get it. When I first
> read the
> document, I just scratched my head and closed it, but I was worried
> that
> I was just being dense. :)
>
> All I could get out of it was that all OpenID software would
> support LID
> and all LID software would support OpenID. That can't be all there
> is to
> it, though, since that doesn't satisfy the stated goals.
>
> I personally would be happy just to let OpenID and LID (and other
> players, too) compete by being non-interoperable, and see how it
> turns out.

Agreed.  I'd like to throw something else out there for comment:

Is YADIS just a Six Apart marketing ploy?  I'm really wondering,
given that there aren't any clearly-defined technological benefits,
and the goals seem to have been written by a Six Apart marketroid,
judging by the number of buzzwords used.

Is the point behind YADIS just to give Six Apart something to use in
order to claim that they're working on interoperable digital identity
and thus drum up business?

-Kurt