Implementing YADIS with no new software

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Mon Oct 31 12:18:36 PST 2005

Hi, I'm just joining the list after the discussions of YADIS last week at
the Internet Identity Workshop
(https://www.socialtext.net/iiw2005/index.cgi).

At the workshop, we had a session in which the OASIS XRI folks discussed
with the LID folks and OpenID folks (specifically Johannes and Brad and
David) using the OASIS XRI Descriptor document format for YADIS capabilities
description.

This seemed to make sense because XRIs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRI)
and specifically the human-friendly format of XRIs known as i-names
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/iname) are abstract identifiers that use an
HTTP-based resolution mechanism to retrieve an XML document that describes
the identified resource. Since under the YADIS architecture that's also the
function of LID and OpenID URLs, it was agreed that if we can agree on one
interoperable capabilities description format, then websites can accept
either an XRI or an URL as a login, resolve it to the capabilities
descriptor document, and then complete authentication according to one of
the available capabilities.

I'm cc'ing Gabe Wachob, my co-chair of the XRI TC, as well as the other TC
members who were at IIW (and some that weren't), to prompt them to join the
list and this conversation. It is particularly revelant because the XRI TC
is currently discussing and trying to come to closure on XRI Descriptor
(XRID) document format used in XRI resolution.

Although we considered RDF, it was felt to be too heavyweight for the kind
of very simple bootstrap capabilities discovery that XRI resolution and
resource description needs. So we've been working with a very lightweight
XML document format that primary uses URIs to define and declare
capabilities.

I have to get on a phone call right now but I'll try to send an example of
this format later this afternoon, and invite Gabe and the others on the TC
to join in an help explain the advantages/disadvantages/tradeoffs we've be
discussing about XRIDs for some months now.

Best,

=Drummond
i-name: =Drummond.Reed
http://public.xdi.org/=Drummond.Reed