openid.consumer tag

Lukas Leander Rosenstock webmaster at lukasrosenstock.net
Wed Sep 14 13:07:56 PDT 2005

At first glance a great idea. However, why should someone download a
plugin just to enter his/her identity URL? The login process itself, as
it is done on a website from the server (and can be anything from
silent, a <form> to HTTP auth.) so as long as this is not standardized
it won't save to much time. Browser integration, hmm, if browsers don't
even understand all these nice links like "glossary", "help", "next"
etc. from HTML 2.0 why should they do it with openid.consumer? Okay,
Firefox displays an RSS icon, so when OpenID has become as popular as
RSS it might happen, yes. Proposing such a tag as you've given here is
okay, but it is not all for it, one point I'm thinking about is what the
user agent should send as return_url, the current webpage or something
else (e.g. the webpage with parameters)? Just think about it again.