LJ munging OpenID comments?

Kurt Raschke kurt at raschke.net
Mon Sep 19 20:29:42 PDT 2005

I just posted an OpenID-authenticated comment on LiveJournal, and I
found that my links were "altered" (and I'm being charitable here)
such that the link text was listed in bold, with the original link
destination following in parentheses.  Is that standard practice on
LJ now?  Why not just use rel="nofollow"?  And furthermore, should
OpenID-authenticated comments even be treated this way?

Oh, and by the way, would it have hurt to have demonstrated that
munging in the comment preview, so that I could have known in advance
that my content was going to be altered?

The main reason I use OpenID with LJ is so that I don't have to get
another account, and remember another username, just so that I'm not
"anonymous" and treated as such by the site.  But if LJ is going to
treat OpenID-authenticated users the same as anonymous users, then
what's the point?

I know this is more of an issue of LJ policy than OpenID per se, but
I'm not sure of a more appropriate place to post it.

-Kurt