LJ munging OpenID comments?

Doug Bell doug at hawkaloogie.com
Tue Sep 20 15:10:07 PDT 2005

Zefiro wrote:

>>On 9/19/05, Kurt Raschke <kurt at raschke.net> wrote:
>>OpenID users really are basically the same as anonymous users.
>>

>We discussed this already and it is NOT.
>
>Please DO see the difference between 'not anonymous' and 'not spam'.
>
>It's completely ok if LJ chooses to handle other identification methods differetly than their own users (who are bound to their
>terms, they have some date, captcha, etc). But it is not ok to keep insisting that OpenID users are anonymous users. Repeating
>the sentence about trust doesn't change anything, as this OpenID != anonymous does say nothing about trust, and the spec
>explicitely stating that it says nothing about trust does not confirm in any way that OpenID is anonymous. After all, this is
>the whole (and only) point in OpenID.

The "OpenID <= Anonymous" is a matter of who's providing the OpenID. The
fact remains that anyone with a web server could offer any spammer an
OpenID or twenty.

Think of an OpenID more like an e-mail address. Some people have e-mail
addresses from free providers, and some sites won't accept those e-mails
to register with because of a lack of trust. Other people have e-mail
addresses from their school or ISP, which offer more in terms of trust.

Developers: As a consumer, could you trust certain providers more than
other providers? In other words, could you take the last delegate and
keep a record of whether or not to trust OpenIDs from that delegate?
Perhaps include a special record for those who seem to manage only their
own OpenID from their own server ( if ($provider_url =~ /$openID/) {
return lookup_trust("private_id"); } else { return
lookup_trust($provider_url) } ).

Additionally, it'd be great to see a web of OpenID providers that allow
new users on invite-only, with some type of point system to manage how
many invites a user can give out (like http://cacert.org does for SSL
certificates. http://wiki.cacert.org/wiki/FAQ_2fAssuranceIntroduction ).
(Like a kind of online notary public).