Proposal for an XRI (i-name) profile for OpenID

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Mon Apr 3 19:30:10 UTC 2006

Martin's right here except one detail -- when the Relying Party resolves the
XRI using standard or proxy XRI resolution, it will get back the Yadis XRDS
document. No need to "resolve it to URL, then do Yadis discovery on it". The
standard response to XRI resolution *is* an XRDS document.

In addition, in case it wasn't clear in earlier messages, starting with XRI
Resolution 2.0 Working Draft 10
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17293/xri-resolution-v2.0
-wd-10.pdf), any Relying Party that wants to do the minimum work to accept
an XRI and get back the Yadis XRDS document can request XRI proxy resolution
from any public XRI proxy resolver, such as the http://xri.net resolver
offered by XDI.org.

To use this option, the Relying Party just checks to see if the Yadis ID is
an XRI by seeing if it starts with an "=", "@", "!", or "xri://" If so, the
Relying Party just appends the Yadis ID to the proxy resolver URL (in this
case, "http://xri.net/") and does an HTTP GET with an Accept header value of
"application/xrds+xml".

For example, to do proxy resolution of my i-name "=drummond.reed", the URL
would be:

	http://xri.net/=drummond.reed

If the proxy resolver supports it, the Relying Party can have the proxy
resolver do more work and locate a specific type of service endpoint type.
This is done using query parameters as defined in section 7.3 of the spec.
For example, the following proxy resolution URL...

	http://xri.net/=drummond.reed?_xrd_t=http://openid.net/signon/1.0

...will either return an XRDS document with an OpenID 1.0 service endpoint
or an error if one can't be found.

=Drummond