Proposal for an XRI (i-name) profile for OpenID

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 17:46:10 UTC 2006

Drummond Reed wrote:

> First, Martin, when you say "I've got an XRID that resolves to that
> /data/yadis URL", so you mean you have an *XRI* that resolves to that URL?
> (XRID was the original name for the XRI resolution document format, which
> has now been changed to XRDS).

I keep getting all of these acronyms mixed up. I guess I keep thinking
of XRID as "X. R. IDentifier", but I guess that D was really supposed to
be "Document". I apologise for continually getting all this wrong; I'm
not very good at remembering acronyms until I understand enough about
what they're describing to be able to infer them...

I still haven't figured out what XRDS stands for. :)

> So -- I'm guessing here -- is the question, "Can an XRI author create an XRI
> that points to an XRDS document that the XRI author does not control?" In
> other words, could you as an individual create an XRI that points to
> LiveJournal's XRDS document?

Yes, that is my question in a nutshell.

> In which case the answer is yes, there's an easy way to do that. But before
> I go into that, I want to make sure I'm answering the right question.

I'd be interested to hear about it, since my understanding about how XRI
resolution works is still practically nonexistant.