When are and aren't two URLs the same? (ports)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Thu Apr 13 23:45:39 UTC 2006

Do these URLs:
     http://example.com/joe
     http://example.com:80/joe
represent the same identity?

This is not a hypothetical question, because this very issue kept me
(and all mylid.net users) from logging into the IIW wiki
successfully. Specifically, our server responded with 404 when asked
for URL http://mylid.net:80/jernst because it only served http://
mylid.net/jernst. Other problems may occur in the OpenID crypto, URL
caches, even account systems.

On the HTTP protocol level, the difference is between
     GET /joe http/1.1
     Host: example.com
and
     GET /joe http/1.1
     Host: example.com:80

Turns out that if you type this type of URL into various browsers
     http://example.com:80/joe
different things happen:
     1) IE immediately zaps it as if you had never entered it
     2) Mozilla zaps it in the URL field, but adds the port spec to
the host header
     3) Safari leaves it fully intact
So there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus.

I think we, as the community, have to decide on the following question:
In an OpenID context, as well as a LID context, should a Relying
Party accept a signature that contains
     http://example.com/joe
if it wanted to prove
     http://example.com:80/joe
?
Or vice versa?

A version of this discussion took place on this list before, I
believe, and people generally didn't want to get into it. However, at
a minimum, we need to say "no URL transformation of any kind shall be
permitted" if that is what we decide.

Alternatively, one can define equivalence rules -- here is a draft as
we have it for LID (but equally well applies to OpenID and Yadis)
     http://lid.netmesh.org/wiki/LID_2.0_Canonical_LID_URL

Thoughts?

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.