When are and aren't two URLs the same? (ports)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri Apr 14 03:38:36 UTC 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 16:57, Grant Monroe wrote:
> If IE isn't going to distinguish between the two URLs, we'd be
> fighting a loosing battle to do anything different.

I don't think IE's behavior has any bearing on the subject -- other
than as an interesting analogy, which is the only reason why I
mentioned it in my e-mail.

The particular interop problem that occurred did not involve a
browser as a significant part. It occurred when the user (me) entered
something like
     http://example.com/joe
into a Relying Party, who then went on to attempt to get the OpenID
HTML document (could have been the Yadis URL, or the LID meta=lid
query) from URL
     http://example.com:80/joe

So I think this remains a valid issue, and I'm sure we'll see lots of
issues like that going forward as adoption of URL-based identity
accelerates ...

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.