When are and aren't two URLs the same? (ports)

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Fri Apr 14 06:07:10 UTC 2006

I can't resist pointing out that this was one of the key issues we tackled
with XRIs. As identifiers they are designed exclusively for the digital
identity layer, so there are two types of XRIs (authority i-names and
i-numbers) that explicitly do not use port numbers and thus don't have that
normalization issue.

Also, we spent a bunch of time on normalization rules so comparison would be
as foolproof as possible.

However I believe the same problem can be solved at the URL layer by doing
the same thing: publishing strict normalization rules and requiring them.
And it should happen at the Yadis layer so that they are the same for all
URL/URI-based Yadis identifiers.

=Drummond