When are and aren't two URLs the same? (ports)

Grant Monroe grant at janrain.com
Fri Apr 14 17:27:14 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Johannes Ernst <jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2006, at 16:57, Grant Monroe wrote:
> > If IE isn't going to distinguish between the two URLs, we'd be
> > fighting a loosing battle to do anything different.
>
> I don't think IE's behavior has any bearing on the subject -- other
> than as an interesting analogy, which is the only reason why I
> mentioned it in my e-mail.

I just think it is a little strange that we would allow someone to use
a url for their identity that they wouldn't even be able to reach
using IE. This would happen in the case that your webserver returns
something different from http://example.com/ and
http://example.com:80/. If you type the second into IE you will get
the page from the first. If you were to use the second as your
identity url, you couldn't even fetch it with IE.

--
Grant Monroe
JanRain, Inc.