When are and aren't two URLs the same? (ports)

Joaquin Miller joaquin at netmesh.us
Fri Apr 14 18:09:55 UTC 2006

>http://example.com/ and http://example.com:80/.
>
>If you type the second into IE you will get the page from the first.
>If you were to use the second as your
>identity url, you couldn't even fetch it with IE.

I agree with the argument that we should require strict identity
(sorry, just having fun with words ...
  (that is a correct usage of 'identity'))
I agree with the argument that we should require strict equality of
identifiers.

But we do need to spend some time thinking about this special case.

If there is a product that does things its own way, we can all choose
not to use it.  That's good.

But when it is a product that most folks use, we need to make sure
our stuff works for those folks.  We don't want anything happening
that appears to be confusing or mysterious.

I'm not sure that there is really a problem in this particular
case.  We need to look at this closely.

Cordially, =joaquin