When are and aren't two URLs the same? (ports)

OHTSUKA Ko-hei nene at kokogiko.net
Sat Apr 15 03:56:48 UTC 2006

I think
   http://joe.example.com/
   http://joe.example.com:80/
   http://joe.example.com
should be different identity.

Reasons are three points:

1.Many web server products can assume these accesses as different one,
   using environment variable.
   So, if want, people can provide different contents to every ways of
   access.
   It is not good for "identification".

2.If thinking them same one, forces little more efforts to both Yadis
   services and relying parties.
   They may manage users profile or so by hash or DB using identity URL
   as key, so if allow these another way of expression, have to add one
   more process to canonicalize URL.
   It is poor effort, I think.

3.Having multiple expression is not suit for "identification".
   I think identity must be have one-to-one correspondence with
   expression.
   # Needless to say, I think OK that one people uses multiple
   # identities.
   # But, each identity should have only one expression.

Any comments?