Proposal (Was: When are and aren't two URLs the same?)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri Apr 21 18:45:50 UTC 2006

I wrote up a proposal on this.

http://yadis.org/wiki/Draft-029

It (hopefully) includes what we are doing already, plus the various
comments that were made on this list.
Chances are I'm missing something ...

One example where this becomes important (even without going into
Yadis-using protocols like OpenID and various LID profiles) is Yadis
document caching.
E.g. if I have the Yadis file in cache for URL1, and URL2 is entered
that is almost the same as URL1 but not exactly, do I have to try to
re-fetch the document or can I assume that I can use the cached
version for URL1?

The proposed algorithm would make this unambiguous, or so I hope ;-)

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.