Proposal (Was: When are and aren't two URLs the same?)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Mon Apr 24 17:36:31 UTC 2006

In the example that I just gave (the part of my e-mail that you
didn't quote), the user -- in this case, me -- got a weird error and
could not log on. It required protocol-level debugging, and then code
changes so the user could log on. This seems to qualify as a "case
where this doesn't work"?

On Apr 24, 2006, at 10:11, Jonathan Daugherty wrote:

> # Now the argument can be made that this trivial transformation --
> # dropping redundant port 80 -- should be made by the identity host,
> # but unless we all agree what are and aren't allowed, encouraged, ..
> # transformations, that way lies interoperability hell.
>
> I don't see how this leads to interoperability problems.  If identity
> providers implement redirects to canonicalize URLs, then the
> "interoperability" problem goes away because a relying party will
> presumably follow those redirects.  Am I missing something?  Can you
> contrive a case where this doesn't work?
>
> --
>   Jonathan Daugherty
>   JanRain, Inc.

Johannes Ernst