REST authentication

christopher baus christopher at baus.net
Tue Aug 22 18:15:36 UTC 2006

>>> Dick,
>>> Why not discuss this on the list? (Maybe I misunderstand,
>>> but it sounds this is a potential wire-format change to
>>> the protocol.)
>>> Hans

I'd definitely be interested in the outcome of this discussion.  I think
REST authentication is in a poor state as every developer must reinvent
the wheel.  Since there is no real standard, this might be a place where
OpenID or Yadis could gain some ground.

One interesting aspect of REST API's is that there is often a third
entity.  The API frob (as flickr calls it
http://www.flickr.com/services/api/auth.spec.html ) which allows a
developer (not a user) to access the API.

Christopher
http://baus.net/