Association Handles and Service URIs

Kevin Turner kevin at janrain.com
Thu Aug 24 22:07:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 14:44 -0700, Marius Scurtescu wrote:
> - are these handles supposed to be globally unique (across all IdPs)?
> - why can't we just use the IdP service URI as an implicit handle?

An IdP should use a different association for every RP.  An IdP will
likely only know an association by this handle, it will not know the URI
of the RP. at the time the association is issued.

In contrast, an RP will be aware of which IdP it requested an
association from.

> - the association expiry time is expressed as a period of time, what
> is the starting point?

now.

> - wouldn't be better to specify the expiry time as an absolute value?

I think this is an old argument, and forms one of the key differences
from v1.0 and v1.1.  But that predates my own experience of the OpenID
specification process, so I'll leave dredging up those old threads to
the older and wiser among us.