Java 1.4 vs 5

Granqvist, Hans hgranqvist at verisign.com
Thu Aug 24 23:48:09 UTC 2006

I like 1.4.

Java 5 bytecodes only execute on Java >=5 so that limits adoption.

If you're using J2SE 1.4 and force yourself to use nothing fancier than
~1.2/1.3 constructs, there is a good chance your code can be
reused or recompiled for smaller devices, so that's something to think
about, perhaps.  (Hey, I want my idp on my phone ;)

-Hans