How do we know whether a service URI is available (related question)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri Aug 25 04:14:07 UTC 2006

Can I ask for a virtual show of hands (-1/0/+1) of people who think
that we should have some kind of very lightweight "ping" for OpenID
service endpoints in time for the OpenID 2.0 spec, preferably using
an approach that works for other kinds of services, too, or not?

I was actually thinking of an HTTP HEAD on the service endpoint,
looking for an HTTP error code (or TCP timeout) or an HTTP success
code. (or a redirect code, in which case the new service endpoint
should be pinged instead).

But regardless of how we'd specify that ping ... should we have such
a thing? Or not? Or "not now"?

Cheers,

Johannes.

Johannes Ernst