How do we know whether a service URI is available (relatedquestion)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri Aug 25 18:56:19 UTC 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 10:34, Drummond Reed wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I personally believe a 404 is the right response because even
> though the URL
> is correct, the resource is "not found".
>
> So I would keep it as simple as: send an HTTP HEAD request to the
> SEP URI.
> If the response is 200 OK, it is active. Anything else = inactive.

I would also allow redirect codes. Use case: I create my hand-crafted
XRDS file that includes services from all over the place, and one of
the vendors I do business with decides that they move their service
endpoint because they bought a big shiny new server or something.

> =Drummond

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.