Seamless site-to-site account creation and login via OpenID

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Mon Aug 28 17:55:21 UTC 2006

+1 to Mike's flow here. I believe this eliminates the security issues that
I'm worried would surface with proxied IdPs.

The remaining issue is privacy. Site A reveals the identifier the user used
with Site A to Site B. With OpenID 2.0, the user can have site-specific
identifiers ("directed identity"). The whole idea of directed identity is
that you don't have to reveal the same identifier to different sites, and
yet you still get single sign-on and profile exchange.

The only solution I can see that would retain that benefit is for Site A to
redirect not to Site B, but to a redirect service at the user's IdP, who
then redirects to SiteB AFTER determining if the user wants a site-specific
identifier for Site B.

This way Site A and Site B never have to share identifiers for the user; all
they know is that the user uses a particular IdP.

=Drummond