Lists of OpenIDs as Groups for Decentralized Services?

Don Engel donengel at techhouse.org
Tue Aug 29 18:00:02 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'd like to follow standards (or invent new ones if necessary) for
the use of web resources by groups of people.

Call the proposed system OpenGID.  The content at an OpenGID url
would include a set of people and subgroups, where:

	A person is a prioritized list (possibly empty) of OpenIDs, possibly
a name, and possibly a role with respect to the group

	A subgroup is another OpenGID, possibly with a role of the subgroup
with respect to the group (membership is recursive, roles are not)

Take the example of a site that would offer a system for preferential
voting.  Any visitor to the site could create a ballot, at which time
they'd also list the OpenGIDs and OpenIDs of those allowed to access
it.  When another user tries to access the ballot at the voting site,
they'd have to log in, and the voting site would then spider to see
if the person was in the set of allowed OpenGIDs and OpenIDs.

This kind of permissions management could also be used to see aspects
of a profile, control who can join a mailing list (log in with
OpenID, then specify and verify e-mail), etc.

I'm currently thinking about rewriting a lot of group organization
tools I've done for specific groups into an set of open source Drupal
modules (unless someone here has a better idea - I'm new to Drupal),
but if other people use the module elsewhere (which of course I hope
they will), I'd like them to be able to recognize the existence of
groups on other sites with the same module.

Many Thanks,
Don