trust_root

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Wed Aug 30 22:01:55 UTC 2006

Josh Hoyt and I had a conversation on this accidentally off-list.
Here is the gist of it. I also blogged it at http://netmesh.info/
jernst/Technical/openid-trust-root-why.html

> Josh: Having a trust root does not prevent an attack. It just
> provides an indication to the user of what the Relying Party
> intends to do with the decision. Its primary purpose is to make the
> user experience nicer, by being easier to understand than a full
> return_to URL. It also allows the IdP to help the user with
> authentication decisions for a site, even if the return_to changes
> (e.g. by adding query parameters)
>
> Johannes: So if it is only about the user interface, then why are
> we checking it on the IdP side?
>
> Josh: It's being checked to make sure (as much as we can) that the
> RP is not misrepresenting itself to the user. The checks are to
> make sure that the return_to actually *is* in the range that the RP
> is claiming and that the range is something sane.

This is a good explanation. Thanks, Josh. As a friend of minimalistic
protocols, I'm still not sure it's really needed (e.g. do we really
need to have return_to URLs that have incomprehensible parameters?)
but the use that Josh suggests is a good one. I hope somebody will
put a sentence into the upcoming OpenID 2.0 spec that explains this
in a similar manner.

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:58, Johannes Ernst wrote:

> Which reminds me that I've never quite understood what the attack
> is that the OpenID trust_root protects against. There seems to be
> no mechanism by which the user (or the IdP) could force the RP to
> only apply authentication to places covered by trust_root. And
> return_to already to where the authentication assertion goes.
>
> Anybody enlightened on this list who'd like to enlighten me?
> Thanks ...
>

> Johannes Ernst
> NetMesh Inc.
>
> <lid.gif>