OpenID and changing URLs

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 08:13:22 UTC 2006

Kevin Turner wrote:

> I know LiveJournal was under a great deal of pressure to make some
> changes in a very short timeframe and they did it for the good of all
> mankind, but really, sucks to break stuff.  Is there any way we can
> patch it?  i.e. can the old URLs still return OpenID pages?  Maybe, with
> some sort of javascript hack to redirect clients that aren't OpenID
> consumer to the new user page, but that definitely has trade-offs of its
> own.  (i.e. it's probably slower for the users, you just broke all the
> spiders, etc.)

I suppose one thing that we can take away from this is that YADIS should
specify some behavior for this. YADIS is a layer of indirection in
itself, and is a lot more flexible than OpenID.

Even something as simple as specifying what to do in the case where the
consumer gets back a redirect response which also has an
X-YADIS-Location header field. (Don't bother following the redirects and
just fetch the YADIS document?)