Change Proposal 005

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Thu Feb 9 19:19:05 UTC 2006

On 2/9/06, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk> wrote:
> Mainly my point is that it seems silly to invent a new header when
> there's a perfectly good one there already — as a de-facto standard, at
> least — which, as a nice bonus, is also consistant with the way we are
> referencing YADIS documents within HTML documents.

But it's not consistent -- the specification uses <meta
http-equiv="..."> in HTML documents. I think that the new header is
more elegant, since we expect it (or content-negotiation) to be the
major pathway taken by implementers. Basically, using the YADIS header
makes it clear that the HTML path is in there for people who are in a
limited environment, and that using HTTP to find the XRDS is
preferred. Using the Link: header makes it seem like HTML is
preferred.

Josh