Releasing the Specification (was Re: Change Proposal 005)

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Thu Feb 9 19:47:48 UTC 2006

I'm just trying to keep forward movement ... sometimes the discussion
comes dangerously close to some "endless cycles" I've seen (and
suffered through!) in other standards efforts before. E.g. one can
endlessly discuss whether a new keyword should be called FOO or BAR,
and my loop detection unit gets triggered there ;-) which causes me
to speak up.

There's a tradeoff between technical / documentation perfection and
time-to-market / momentum, and I just want to make sure we are
mindful about that at any point in time. So far, we are doing just
fine -- let's just make sure we don't deviate from that trajectory
too far ...

<end reminder/> ;-)

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:36, Josh Hoyt wrote:

> I think that it's a mistake to try to put out a spec when there are
> clear improvements that can be made. Once all of the clear
> improvements have been made, we can release 1.0. I don't think that
> anyone who is going to implement YADIS is being slowed down, because
> the protocol is stable, even if the specification is not complete. The
> *protocol* has not changed significantly (has it changed at all?)
> since the YADIS meeting at Six Apart.
>
> I believe that the specification will be much better received if we
> take the time to fix the problems that it has than if we release it
> early. I expect that it will become clear when the spec is finished.
> Once 1.0 is released, I hope that it will not have to change for a
> long time (even to fix wording).
>
> Josh

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.