Simplifying OpenId

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Fri Jan 6 19:17:51 UTC 2006

I apologize in advance if this is a FAQ, but I just read finally took
the time to read through the OpenId spec more carefully and it seems
overly complex for what it is trying to accomplish.  Why not get rid
of all the complex message formats and non-opaque URLs and do
something like this:

1. Consumer recieves openid_url [1]

    POST consumer
    content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

    openid_url=bob.com

2. Consumer retreives openid.server for this openid_url [2]

    GET openid_url

    200 OK

    .*<head>.*<link\s+rel="openid.server"\s+href="http://serverURL"\s*/?>.*</head>.*

3. Consumer establishes is_user URL with server and gets back redirect URL

    POST http://serverURL
    content-type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

    is_user=http://is_user_URL

    201 CREATED
    Location: http://redirect

4. Consumer redirects UA to redirect URL.

    301 http://redirect

5. Consumer trusts user has openId if it receives a

    GET is_user_URL

-Alex-

[1] Need some way to handle whether this GET is against http or https
and, if the later, what CAs are recognized by both user and consumer.

[2] OpenId sample documentation on openid.net don't close the link
tag, but, perhaps, should.