multiple URI elements per Service in XRDs

Kevin Turner kevin at janrain.com
Thu Jan 19 21:12:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 20:29 +0000, Martin Atkins wrote:
> How is one to interpret the priorities in this case?
> Should an application first select a top-level service element based on
> priority and then select a URI from within it based on priority?

Correct.

> ...or was this allowed purely as a document size optimization?

I think those two documents are equivalent.  The size difference seems
slight in this case, but if you use multiple Types with multiple URIs,
the difference in size can be more dramatic.  For example:

   <Service priority="10">
     <Type>http://openid.net/signon/1.0</Type>
     <Type>http://openid.net/signon/0.7b</Type>
     <URI priority="10">https://www.myopenid.com/server</URI>
     <URI priority="15">http://www.myopenid.com/server</URI>
     <openid:Delegate>http://keturn.myopenid.com/</openid:Delegate>
   </Service>

That example has Type tags which seem to indicate different versions of
the one protocol, but you could also do this if each endpoint offered
several services in the stack, e.g.
http://lid.netmesh.org/post/sender/2.0b5 and
http://lid.netmesh.org/post/receiver/2.0b5.