YADIS best practice?

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Jan 21 02:24:30 UTC 2006

Johannes Ernst wrote:
> I'm trying to decide whether there is, or should be, a "best  practice"
> on how to declare two YADIS services that only differ in  their version
> number.
> For example, most OpenID implementation today seem to support both  V1.1
> and V1.0. In YADIS, should this be declared as:
>
> <Service>
>   <Type>http://openid.net/signon/1.0</Type>
>   <URI>http://openid.example.com/</URI>
> </Service>
> <Service>
>   <Type>http://openid.net/signon/1.1</Type>
>   <URI>http://openid.example.com/</URI>
> </Service>
>
> or is this better practice:
>
> <Service>
>   <Type>http://openid.net/signon/1.0</Type>
>   <Type>http://openid.net/signon/1.1</Type>
>   <URI>http://openid.example.com/</URI>
> </Service>
>
> or doesn't it matter?

I would be inclined to say that only OpenID 1.1 is supported as a YADIS
capability. The only reason to still be running old versions of OpenID
is because you're an old app that hasn't upgraded, but if you support
YADIS then you're changing *something*, so why not change to support the
latest version of OpenID?

There aren't really enough OpenID implementations out there at this
point to worry too much about this.

I realise though that OpenID was just an example. In a hypothetical case
where my above argument does not apply, I don't really think it matters.
Assuming that XRD allows a service to have multiple Type elements, the
two are functionally identical. The need for a "best practice" doesn't
seem necessary in this case: the document author can just pick whatever
suits him, which will probably be the latter in the case that the server
URI is the same, since it's more compact.