Trust/threat model for OpenID

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Sun Jul 30 16:04:30 UTC 2006

Responding to: "impossible in many cases because of legal restrictions"

In the US most vendor's terms and conditions capture extremely broad
rights to the information they accumulate.  Legal protections are a
valuable tool; but in the US it is currently difficult to get them
established without the enthusiastic buy in of the larger account
holding entities.  For example they like them if they provide clarity
about their liability and/or raise barriers to entry for late entrants.

This, in part, is why there was so much effort expended to keep
the US social security number from becoming a unique identifier.
So one of the design challenges as OpenID goes forward is to temper
the risk that these identity URLs don't create similar issues.

Reaching back into history: http://lists.danga.com/pipermail/yadis/
2005-May/000146.html
> However, this is not to say, a site (Craigslist for instance) can't
> piggyback OpenID on top of its anonymizing code and provide its users
> with an anonymous URL that can be asserted without tying it to an
> individual user:
>
> http://anon-5812930492.craigslist.org

That would help this issue.  Is this possible?

  - ben