yadis Digest, Vol 13, Issue 14

Recordon, David drecordon at verisign.com
Thu Jun 1 05:32:28 UTC 2006

Yes, but it is very easy to extend OpenID to allow this sort of behavior
as well.  Today the solution is having multiple URLs in order to create
multiple personas.

Tomorrow the solution is the end user entering the URL of their IdP and
the check_* request returning their actual Identity URL.  It is then up
to the IdP's implementation in terms of how they surface multiple
personas to their users.

So if the PiP wants to support this, we'd put a Yadis document not only
for each username.pip.verisignlabs.com, but top-level
pip.verisignlabs.com as well.
1) End user types pip.verisignlabs.com into the consumer
2) Consumer does Yadis discovery on pip.verisignlabs.com and finds the
OpenID server
3) Consumer does checkid_setup request passing the identity as
pip.verisignlabs.com
4) PiP allows the End User to choose the persona URL to return, maybe
their real username or maybe a random string as the sub-domain
5) PiP returns the selected persona URL in the checkid_setup response
6) Consumer knows pip.verisignlabs.com was the IdP, and not actual
identity, since the returned identity URL has changed

If I wanted to prove I actually owned pip.verisignlabs.com, then steps
4-5 wouldn't exist, and step 6 would return the same identity URL that
was sent in the request.

--David