trademark

Drummond Reed drummond.reed at cordance.net
Thu Mar 2 00:50:01 UTC 2006

Johannes,

IMNAL either, however, I unfortunately have too many years of experience
with this one. While it's great to have a mark, I strongly caution against
using the *name of the protocol* as a mark. A few examples of the problems
it creates:

1) If you ever want to move it into a standards body (IETF, OASIS), the name
of the protocol can't be trademarked.

2) Users and documenters of the protocol don't want to have to use a TM each
time they reference the protocol.

3) Press articles will have to reference the name as the trademark of...who?

So what you really want is not to trademark the name of the protocol, but to
create a mark (a logo and/or bug) that is *associated with* the name of the
protocol. Typically this is used on the website/wiki of the protocol
creators/maintainers/supporters, and may even be a certification mark (or
have variants that represent certification marks) for conformance.

The logo/bug may USE the generic protocol name, but it should be highly
distinctive otherwise -- that's what makes it trademarkable (and memorable).

You'll notice that's why "i-names" is always spelled lower case (in running
text). The term is intentionally generic, like "e-mail" or "fax". There will
be an i-name logo and bug for indicating conformance and service standards
as I describe above, but it doesn't in any way restrict use of the term
"i-name".

XRI is also completely generic. Like YADIS, it only appears in caps because
it's an acronym. But for broad adoption, IMHO that's the approach any
protocol must take (TCP/IP, SMTP, HTTP...YADIS ;-)

=Drummond (http://xri.net/=drummond.reed)