Identity 2.0

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Fri Mar 3 02:41:30 UTC 2006

On 3/2/06, Ask Bjørn Hansen <ask at develooper.com> wrote:
> I haven't been paying that much attention, but I haven't seen an
> explanation of what useful features Yadis have that OpenID doesn't.

Yadis solves one part of what OpenID solves. Yadis is a generic
service discovery protocol. It does *not* provide *any* other services
(nor should it, imho). The next OpenID specification will specify
using Yadis for discovery of the OpenID server.

What Yadis brings to the equation is an easy, clear way to specify
more than one service type and/or more than one provider for a given
service. It is touted as an interoperability solution for this reason.
Yadis is a foundation on which services, including OpenID, can build.

Another advantage of Yadis is that it forces service discovery to be
separated from the protocols that use it. In other words, less
wheel-reinvention, which hopefully means less duplicated code.

> (A ~20 page spec isn't a useful feature :-) )

Indeed.

Josh