Caching of discovered Yadis service definitions / best practices?

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri Mar 3 23:44:19 UTC 2006

The first time a Relying Party (RP) encounters a Yadis-enabled URL,
the RP will likely want to obtain the Yadis document associated with it.

The second time the RP encounters the same URL, it may or may not
want to re-resolve. If a year has passed, it probably should re-
resolve. If a second has passed, re-resolving is almost certainly
going to produce the same information.

Of course, we agreed that the Yadis 1.0 spec will be silent on this
issue, and that decision was the right one.

I have a question for implementors: Do you cache? Or not? Or in the
next version? ;-)

If you cache, for how long do you cache? Or what is your policy? I
suspect that most people won't cache at this point in time, in
particular as resolution loads are still low. But if you did, what
would your policy be and why?

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.