Push vs Pull

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Fri Mar 3 23:44:58 UTC 2006

On Mar 3, 2006, at 15:33, Drummond Reed wrote:
> No broadly adopted identity system that lets users assert and prove
> their identity and share attributes is going to be entirely Push or
> Pull. It will support both exactly the way the Internet supports
> both the Web and Email.
Amen.

And of course, with the poster child being RSS, what appears push to
one person ("things show up automagically in my news reader") appears
as pull to another ("but it is HTTP"). With people like pubsub.com
completely confusing matters by transmitting RSS via XMPP, which can
be considered a P2P, a pull and a push protocol all simultaneously.
Not that the user knows, they think it is push (or was that pull?)

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.

 http://netmesh.info/jernst