how different is OpenID from SXIP?

John Merrells merrells at sxip.com
Wed Mar 15 15:37:03 UTC 2006

On 15-Mar-06, at 6:45 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> I wonder if somebody could do me a favor: tell me to what extent
> SXIP is isomorphic to OpenID?

 From the Sxip perspective... like OpenID SXIP is URL based and
provides the advantages of a separation between the place the
user authenticates themselves and the relying party. But SXIP
goes further by providing a general solution for the provision of
identity data, from self asserted attribute assertions through to
third-party claims of attribute assertions. SXIP differs in one
important respect: The discovery phase of the protocol is based
on the user providing the name of their 'homesite' rather than
providing their identifier, which has privacy advantages for the
end user.

John