how different is OpenID from SXIP?

Johannes Ernst jernst+lists.danga.com at netmesh.us
Wed Mar 15 19:13:45 UTC 2006

And to add one more:

SXIP, the company, has designed a "vertically integrated system" that
contains things such as authentication and profile transmission in an
integrated whole which centers around their "DIX" protocol. There is
currently one implementation (right?) from SXIP, in several languages
(I think).

Yadis, the community, has developed an ever-growing number of atomic
capabilities underneath the Yadis framework, that can be mixed and
matched at will. OpenID is one of them, originally from Six Apart
(admittedly retrofitted, but that's only of historical interest). LID
SSO and LID Profile queries and LID Authenticated messaging etc. are
others, originally from NetMesh. There are many others in development
from alternate mechanism of profile exchange to reputation systems,
to higher-level identifiers called i-names. There is a range of
implementations from a number of companies and independent developers
in most languages in existence.

On Mar 15, 2006, at 7:57, Josh Hoyt wrote:

> On 3/15/06, John Merrells <merrells at sxip.com> wrote:
>> The discovery phase of the protocol is based
>> on the user providing the name of their 'homesite' rather than
>> providing their identifier, which has privacy advantages for the
>> end user.
>
> It is easy to add another level of indirection to LID or OpenID or any
> other URL-based identity system. I do not consider this a significant
> difference at all.
>
> Also, I believe users will usually want to identify themselves by
> their *identifier* (URL) rather than the name of a particular service
> provider. I think this is a big usability issue. It is also true that
> SXIP can be modified to allow entering the identity URL *or* the
> homesite URL, and I think that it should, if it is meant to be a
> solution for the masses.
>
> Josh

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.