identity as a URL instead of an email? hrmmmm

Granqvist, Hans hgranqvist at verisign.com
Thu Mar 23 18:21:36 UTC 2006

> So far, no-one has come up with a workable solution for an
> OpenID-like system that uses email addresses for identity. Do
> you have one?

One main take-away points for me from Tuesday DIX IETF bof was
that it is most useful to separate the protocol contents from its
delivery mechanism.

If the Yadis system is frameworked to handle a few URI schemes,
let's say, http:// and mailto:, maybe via profiles, then it would
force a distinct definition of the content and mechanism inside
Yadis. Today it's all a bit muddled with the deps on cookies, for
example.

I'd love to have an OpenID-like exchange take place over SMTP(!),
not necessarily because it is intrinsically useful, but because
it helps design a framework that is open for (future or current)
mechanisms other than http.

-Hans