Federation problem, Identity and precense problems...

Larry Velez larry at sinu.com
Thu Mar 23 21:12:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I just got off the phone with a company that I was introduced to me by
its association with Jeff Pulver, a leading thinker in the VOIP space
and who in the 10 minutes we spoke when I met him taught me more about
the telecom industry than I had learned until that point.  I reached out
to Tello to see how our customers could use their solutions.

The company is http://www.tello.com

"Tello provides a hosted Instant Communications and Collaboration
service, with complementary client applications, that allows users to
instantly locate, contact, and connect with others across their business
communities over the different systems, devices and applications they
already use.

Tello makes this happen by "federating" the different real time
communication systems in the market and has an open platform allowing
any other application to run on top of it and to serve as the core user
interface, launch from it instantaneously within a live communication
session, or trigger it so users can find their contacts at critical
times.
This means that application engines and programs like iotum work with,
and don't compete with Tello. Even Microsoft's LCS or Skype could work
with it and use it. It is meant to be a platform, and agnostic, not
parochial."

This sounds a whole lot like the identity problem and what Kim Cameron,
Sxip, Yadis, et al. ate tackling.

Why do you guys think they seem to be off in their own circle and not
talking about the identity problem just the 'presence problem'?  Are
there other camps of thinking out there like this camp approaching the
same problems from different angles?

Seems to me you have to beat the identity problem before worrying about
presence.

| Larry Velez | www.sinu.com |