Yadis logo/Ember/edits

Joaquin Miller joaquin at netmesh.us
Thu Mar 30 22:47:27 UTC 2006

I don't feel this is splitting hairs.  These details are the essence
of good design as I'm sure Dave agrees.

I agree that it will be best if the wye is real.  That means two
changes:  let the branches of the Y join; use the same typeface as
the rest.  (In other words, a matching wye laid over the three
arrows.  It may be that no change to the wye is needed; this is,
after all, a sans serif face, so there is no immediately obvious
change.  On the other hand, there is a very pleasant variation in the
thickness of the lines in the lower case letters, which is not
carried through in the wye. In any case, that is up to the designer
of the typeface, Dave or whoever he is drawing from.)

Or something like that.  These are suggestions from amateur customers
to the designer, working to get the very best.

>Thanks for this.  I like that the "Y" is more of a "Y" now, but it's
>still somewhat visually confusing as the thickness of the lines that
>make up the "Y" are very different from the weight of the "adis"
>typeface.  I'm sorry... I know I'm splitting hairs.  That's just my
>initial reaction.  I think that if you're going to have a real "Y",
>make it a real "Y" in the same typeface as the rest.

Or maybe it is better the way it is.  At least it might be good to
see both and then take some time deciding.  Meanwhile we can use one
or the other on the wiki.

Cordially, Joaquin

p.s.  The more i look at it, the more i like it the way it is.  Which
shows that these decisions need time.

If i were one of those <adjective> art critics i'd praise the tension
of the white space where they arms of the wye are striving to join.